No Wait Time for Family-Based Second Preference Adjustment of Status

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) released its Visa Bulletin for July of 2019, and it contains good news for spouses and unmarried children of lawful permanent residents in the U.S. The final action date for family immigration cases is “current” for all countries. That means green card approval for certain family members has reached the front of the line, and these individuals can petition for adjustments of status beginning July 1st.

The announcement is significant because the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is usually backlogged with petitions, and it can typically take months or even years for an individual to reach the front of the green card line.

The final action date was changed to current to encourage individuals in the family-based second preference (F2A) category to submit their adjustment of status applications.

Filing for Adjustment of Status

Families seeking to obtain non-immigrant status in the U.S. must submit their applications as soon as possible. According to the DOS, the F2A category is expected to stay current only until September. If the family-based green card cap is reached before then, it might not remain current for long.

The spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of green card holders can petition for an adjustment of status by completing and submitting Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status. If Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative has not already been filed, it can be submitted concurrently with the adjustment of status application.

Contact Davis & Associates for a Free Consultation

Our attorneys are passionate about helping individuals reach their immigration goals. Backed by over 60 years of combined experience, our team has extensive knowledge of the laws and procedures concerning these types of matters. We will provide the legal guidance you and your family need to successfully file for an adjustment of status.

To begin the petition process, call us at (214) 999-1942 or contact us online.