Family Visas 101: Everything You Need To Know

United States citizens and lawful permanent residents, also known as green card holders, have the ability to sponsor a family member who lives abroad. Learn how to sponsor your relative’s family-based visa and help them gain entry into the country.

Obtaining a Family-Based Visa

Thousands of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents help their relatives who live abroad obtain a family-based visa per year. In fact, the U.S. gives out approximately 480,000 family-based visas annually.

Certain relatives receive priority over others for a family-based visa, including spouses, parents, and unmarried children under 21. Other family members can obtain a family-based visa as well, but they may face a longer waiting time. Family-based visas for other types of relatives are divided into four priority categories:

  • F-1: First preference for unmarried children, who are 21 or older, of U.S. citizens

  • F-2A: Second preference for spouses and married children, who are under 21, of lawful permanent residents

  • F-2B: Second preference for unmarried children, who are 21 or older, of lawful permanent residents

  • F-3: Third preference for married children of U.S. citizens

  • F-4: Fourth preference for sisters and brothers, who are 21 or older, of U.S. citizens

The waiting time for obtaining a family-based visa may take anywhere from six months to 20 years, and depends on several factors, including:

  • The immigration status of the petitioner

  • The type of family member petitioned for

  • Where the family member is from

If you are seeking a family-based visa for a loved one who lives abroad, our immigration attorneys at Davis & Associates are here to help. We understand that family is the most important thing in your life, and we’ll work hard on your case.

Contact Davis & Associates today at (214) 999-1942 or schedule a free consultation to learn how we can help you.