The process for immigrants to become United States citizens is referred to as naturalization.
In order to get U.S. citizenship, a foreign national must fulfill specific requirements set out in the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Since this procedure can be detailed and complex, an immigration lawyer can be helpful.
What Are the Qualifications?
In order to begin, the foreign resident needs to initially fulfill specific obligations. A quality naturalization lawyer will help in fulfilling these complicated requirements.
If you fulfill any of the following credentials, you can check the requirements list to make sure you are qualified for naturalization:
- You have been a long-term U.S. resident (minimum 5 years)
- You are married to a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years
- You have served for the United States military
What Are the Requirements?
If you have qualified for naturalization, you must then make sure you meet the mandatory requirements. The requirements to apply for naturalization are:
- You need to have been physically present in the United States for 30 months out of the 5 years (or 18 months if you are wed to a U.S. resident).
- You have actually lived at your present address for a minimum of the last 3 months.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You have great ethical character.
- You can read, write and speak standard English.
- You have a fundamental understanding of U.S. history and the federal government.
- You support the principles of the United States Constitution.
- You can promise an oath of loyalty to the United States
If you have verified that you are certified to apply for naturalization, and you have actually fulfilled all the essential requirements, the next action is to request naturalization.
You will have to complete an application and offer all essential proof and documents that it needs, in addition to any costs.
If your application is accepted, an interview will be arranged, and you will be asked about your application. You will likewise have to take numerous tests, consisting of speaking, reading, writing, and civics, in addition to a biometric screening.
Do I Need an Immigration Attorney?
As you can see, the path to naturalization is rather intricate and difficult. A naturalization lawyer can be a useful resource for information during the whole naturalization process and inform you of each action to take as it comes.
At Davis & Associates, we are extremely experienced in immigration law and the naturalization procedure. Please call our office to speak with a professional immigration legal representative who can help you with all your naturalization concerns and issues.
About Davis & Associates:
Davis & Associates is the immigration law firm of choice in North Texas including Dallas, Fort Worth, Plano, Frisco, McKinney and surrounding areas. Their attorneys provide expert legal counsel for all aspects of immigration law, including deportation defense, writs of habeas corpus and mandamus, family-sponsored immigration, employment-sponsored immigration, investment immigration, employer compliance, temporary visas for work and college, permanent residence, naturalization, consular visa processing, waivers, and appeals. Attorney Garry L. Davis is Board Certified in Immigration and Nationality Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Davis & Associates
Address: 17750 Preston Road Dallas, TX 75252
Phone: (972) 694-4873